Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Where did the time go?

I have just a few minutes before my family returns from putt-putting. Just a few minutes...time is such an oxymoron to me. A few minutes can be a short amount of time or forever. For example: today when I was working out one minute seemed FOREVER. Now that I want to type my thoughts down and send them out into the space that is our internet, one minute isn't enough time. Time allows for healing. Time allows us to forget. (which can be good or bad) I guess it all falls down to perspective.

Okay, so Sunday is Emma's tenth birthday. Ten years! Has it been that long?! I remember my mom warning me not to wish my life away (words falling onto the deaf ears of a teenage girl). That seemed like yesterday and now here I am, 33, two kids and one about to turn ten!

Allow me a few I remembers if you will...

I remember taking the pregnancy test. I remember watching the second pink line appear. I remember sitting dumbfounded on the toilet knowing my whole world was about to change. I remember telling my parents. I remember going to the doctor for the first time. I was afraid the test was correct and I was pregnant and I was afraid the test was wrong and I wasn't. (Weird I know) I remember watching my ultrasound and meeting Emma Kate for the first time. I remember hearing her heart beat. I remember Jake crying as they handed me my baby girl for the first time. I remember feeding her for the first time. I remember sleeping with her beside me. I didn't get much sleep that night. I think I woke up every few hours so I could place my hand close to her small mouth. I was so afraid she would stop breathing...I had to check!

I remember her first word, "dog". I remember her learning to walk. I remember her crying when they put the jelly on my stomach for my ultrasound with Abbie. I remember taking picnics and walks with her. I remember the first day of kindergarten. I remember her telling me about her dream of Jesus. I remember when she decided to become a Christ follower.

There are so many more, I don't have time for them all! Again...time. It goes by so quickly. I'm gonna blink and I'll have five more years of "I remembers". Soon, she will head off to middle school. Then there will be the first date, the first car, the first kiss. Soon, she will head off to college.

I love my baby girl! I so thankful God gave her to me for this time! My challenge: enjoy the time we have together now, save the "I remembers" for when she is gone.

No comments: