Monday, January 3, 2011

I don't have a good title for this one, but you have to have a title so I typed in this

My mom got me a devotional book for Christmas.  I admit I'm not real big on devotional books.  Mostly because the whole purpose is to spend time with God everyday.  I usually start off strong.  Reading the devotion, reading my Bible and praying.  Then...life happens and the devotional books sits beside my bed mocking me.  A small reminder that I'm a failure, again.   I usually don't even start reading them anymore.  For some reason I've started this one.  And I can honestly say I'm glad.  Not so much for the insight from the author (which isn't bad).  More for the scripture she has us read (I'm surprised the scripture is good and applicable to my life - ha!)   I think I'm going to start posting the scriptures that really "jump" out at me.  Not so that I can add these wonderful, "life changing" thoughts to them.  No, a more selfish reason.  My hope is that by typing them and re-reading my posts, I will commit some of these to memory.   I hope that if you are reading these, they will speak to you too.


Today is a combination of two days:

Job 12: 13 (MSG)
"True wisdom and real power belong to God; from him we learn how to live, and also what to live for."

Ecclesiastes 5:1-6 (MSG)
"Watch your step when you enter God's house.  Enter to learn.  That's far better than mindlessly offering a sacrifice, doing more harm than good.  Don't shoot off your mouth, or speak before you think.  Don't be too quick to tell God what you think he wants to hear.  God's in charge, not you - the less you speak, the better.  Over-work makes for restless sleep, over-talk shows you up as a fool.  When you tell God you'll do something, do it - now.  God takes no pleasure in foolish gabble.  Vow it, then do it.  Far better not to vow in the first place than to vow and not pay up.  Don't let your mouth make a total sinner of you."

1 comment:

Tracy said...

For some strange reason, I've been bitten by the bug that drives me to read Ecclesiastes. I LOVE it!! It is so no-nonsense, this is the way it, take it from me...I just really have enjoyed it. and I love you!