Friday, July 23, 2010

The irony is not lost on me.

The other night I was out with some friends enjoying a nice dinner. Somehow the conversation turned to our jobs. I remarked how I would like to try my hand at middle school. Everyone at the table agreed that I should move to middle school. My temperament and dry sense of humor would do me well in the world of sixth grade. I laughed them off and told them I have no way into the middle school.

You see I really want a position at the middle school where Emma and Abbie will go. In order to get a job there, you have to know someone, be related to someone or you had to have grown up in that community. I was three for three.

One of my friends pulled out her cell phone and asked me if I were really serious about moving. I nodded my head yes and watched wide eyed as she texted her friend. This friend happens to know the vice principal at the middle school where I want to go! Cool! She put away her phone and we continued eating and talking. I honestly thought no more about it until I came home today from my meeting.

As soon as I walked upstairs into my kitchen Jake pointed to a sticky note on the cabinet. "You got a phone call from Kristy. Something about two positions open." I admit I was still in the dark as I dialed the number. As soon as my friend's voice came through on the other end it clicked. "Two positions" Wow! I was so excited as I listened to her tell me she had talked to her friend and her friend had told her there where two sixth grade teaching positions open. I immediately went to History or English in my brain. I knew I could do either one of those positions! I was so happy in my daydream until she uttered four words that caused my daydreams to come to a screeching halt.

"They are in math"

Sigh.

I'm not quite sure what to think. I'm horrible at math. I failed math in high school. I almost failed it in college. I'm doing good to teach third grade math to nine year olds! Really?! Two positions, in a school where there are never any positions open and they are both in MATH?!

Ha, ha God...ha ha.

Now, I'm not sure if I should go to the interview or not...Kristy is supposed to call me on Sunday with more details. Until then I may want to start brushing up on decimals, integers and multiplying fractions.

No comments: