Monday, January 14, 2008

The last word

My dog and I are having a bit of a disagreement. He thinks he is the leader of the house and I know that I am. It's really my fault. I've let him be this way, not really knowing I was doing it until I watched - THE DOG WHISPERER. Friends, my eyes have been opened!

Laugh if you want, but this guy is cool! He really knows what he is doing!

So from watching the show, I learn that I am not the pack leader and that I need to be in order for my dog to become more happy in life. (Someone needs to covey that part to Sam. He doesn't seem very happy with all of this.) I have been taking him on walks, going out the door first, making Sam lie down (okay, forcing him to lie down - he eventually relaxes), only giving praise for positive behavior...yadda, yadda, yadda. And he is doing better. So I think to myself, "Ah Ha! I've done it! I am the pack leader!" Sam even let my friends come in Saturday night without barking and was totally okay with them being in the house. It was great! Until tonight.

I have a group of girls that meet at my house on Monday nights. Sam let them in with some barking, but as pack leader I showed him that was not okay. He sniffed them and then went off to eat some food. I was so happy! I had shown him that I was the boss and he listened! The girls and I sat down to start our meeting. We had a new girl and I wanted everyone to introduce themselves and tell a little about themselves for our new friend. While we were talking Sam went under the table. No big deal, right? He goes under the table all the time. Except this time he lifted his leg and pissed all over the floor.

Sam had the last word.

2 comments:

The Anonymous Human said...

I am the dog whisperer.

Love that show.

Somehow, the dogs ALWAYS have the last word. I don't see any of them picking up their own poop.

Mrs. Jake said...

Ha! So true! But they do lick their butts. I think even though they have the last word, we are smarter - right?