Monday, May 3, 2010

Movie producers piss me off

I just found out that one of my all time favorite books is becoming a movie! One of two things will happen...1) they will follow the storyline beautifully, awards will be won, many copies of the DVD will be sold and Carrie will be the happiest person on earth or 2) they will not follow the storyline, copies of the DVD will be sold, maybe an award and Carrie will be mad. I'm leaning more towards option #2.

Why do movie producers feel like they have to "tweak" the story to make it better? Obviously the book was good which is why you wanted to make a movie of it in the first place! Rarely is the movie better than the book. Here are several books I've read that Hollywood has seen fit to ruin:

1) Most recently: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief I don't think they read the book before they made the movie. I think they read the title, said to themselves, "Hey that sounds like fun! Kids seem to be buying it." and preceded to make a movie that in no way resembles the book. When my nine year old daughter points out major flaws in the movie...something is really wrong!

2) Gone With the Wind in the book you actually half-way like Scarlet. In the movie...not so much.

3) Any of the Twilight books - yes I've read them and yes, I've watched the movies. Sad but true. As a friend and myself watched the last one, New Moon, we made fun of the actors and their inability to speak clearly.

4) Any of John Grisham books that have been turned into movies.

5) Inkheart

6) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

7) The Secret of NIMH

8)
Any Harry Potter books

9) Love Comes Softly

10) Number ten spot goes to a T.V. series that refused to allow any similarity of book and show to match. The ONLY thing they got right were the names....Little House on the Prairie . Take that Michael Landon!


I think I'm done...as I look over my list a thought occurs...maybe there's nothing that beats good ole imagination. Hollywood can't compete with the images in my brain. Still...as I watch some of the movies...I have to wonder...what were they thinking?!

No comments: